Get a Passport Card

The U.S. passport card is a wallet-sized, plastic passport that has no visa pages. The card is proof of U.S. citizenship and identity, and has the same length of validity as the passport book.  

The card is for U.S. citizens who travel by land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean countries.

The card is not valid for international travel by air and is cheaper than the passport book.

You can apply for either the book or card, or both documents.  

Steps to Apply for a Card

We use the same forms for both passport books and cards. The first step on our forms is to select if you want a passport book, passport card, or both documents. 

Comparing a Passport Book and Card
An image that compares a U.S. passport book and card

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for the passport card and passport book using the same application?

Yes. You can apply for both a passport book and passport card at the same time using the same application. When completing your form, let us know if you would like to apply for one or both documents. 

If you're renewing both your passport book and passport card, you must provide both documents. If you can submit a passport book, but you lost your passport card, you cannot renew the passport card using Form DS-82.



Can I get a passport card if I already have a passport book?

Yes. If you already have a passport book and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card by mail as a "renewal" even if it is your first passport card.

You can do the same and apply for your first passport book by mail as a "renewal" if you already have a passport card.


May I use a passport card to fly?

You cannot use the passport card to fly to or from a foreign country.

The Transportation Security Administration accepts the passport card as ID for domestic flights in the United States.

The passport card is for U.S. citizens who live in northern and southern border communities and cross the border by land.

Use the passport book for international air travel.


Can I use my passport card at Ready Lanes?

Yes. You can save time at the U.S.-Mexico border by using Ready Lanes that read the U.S. passport card’s Radio Frequency Identification technology. Find a complete list of documents accepted at Ready Lanes. 


I don't have any citizenship evidence or photo ID to apply. How can I get these documents?

Go to our Citizenship Evidence page and Photo ID page for examples of documents we accept.

Don't have a birth certificate?

If you were born in the United States, contact the county, city, or state where you were born and ask for a certified copy of your birth certificate. A certified copy has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

If you were born outside the United States, follow the tips on the Citizenship Evidence page. 

Don't have a driver's license?

We accept other types of government-issued, primary photo ID. We will accept secondary photo ID if you do not have a primary ID. 


Last Updated: February 13, 2024