Apply as a 16 or 17 Year Old

  • Most applicants who are age 16-17 must apply in person using Form DS-11.
  • Passports for applicants 16 and older are valid for 10 years.
  • You must show one legal parent or guardian is aware you are applying. 



Steps to Apply

1. Fill Out Form DS-11 and Print It

Use our Form Filler tool to fill out your form on a desktop or laptop computer and then print it. If you are experiencing technical issues with the Form Filler, download a PDF

Complete Form Online using Form Filler

Tips to complete your form:

  • Do not sign the form until asked to do so by the acceptance agent or employee.
  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents.
  • You may request a larger passport book with more visa pages, at no extra cost, by checking the 'large book' box at the top of the application.

2. Get Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (and a photocopy)

Your evidence must be an original or replacement copy. The document must have the official seal or stamp of the office which issued it. You must submit one of these documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate that meets these requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal or stamp from the city, county, or state which issued it
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport 
    • Full validity means the document is or was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16. 

If you cannot submit one of these documents, go to our Citizenship Evidence page for more information.

Tips for making a photocopy:

  • Black and white (no color)
  • Use 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper
  • Use a single side of the paper

If you do not submit a photocopy, you must submit a second copy of your citizenship evidence. We will keep this copy for our records.

Returning your document: We will return your citizenship document up to 8 weeks after you receive your passport.

Sample U.S. Birth Certificate
An image of the sample features of a U.S. birth certificate

3. Show That One Parent Is Aware You Are Applying

If you have your own current photo ID, you may apply for a passport if you are age 16 or 17. You must show a legal parent or guardian is aware in one of these ways:

  1. Parent Applies with You: One of your legal parents or guardians applies with you, and signs Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.
  2. Parent Signs Note: Submit a signed note from your legal parent or guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  3. Parent Pays Fees: Submit proof that your legal parent or guardian is paying your fees. Example: a parent or guardian's name is on the check or money order.
  4. Notarized Statement: We may ask you to submit a notarized statement (example: complete Form DS-3053) from your legal parent or guardian which says you can have a passport. Include a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.

4. Get a Photo ID (and a photocopy)

You (or your parent or guardian) should bring a physical, photo ID and a photocopy of it. If your photo ID is from a different state than the state in which you are applying, bring a second photo ID. 

You must show at least one of these photo IDs:

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Note: you may need to show another ID when presenting one of these three documents: 
    • In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo
    • In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo
    • Temporary driver's license with photo

If you do not have one of these photo IDs, go to our Identification page for more information.

Tips for making a photocopy:

  • Black and white (no color)
  • Use 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper
  • Use a single side of the paper

5. Provide a Photo

You must provide one photo with your application. Go to our Passport Photo page for photo requirements and to see examples of photos. 

  • Do not attach or staple your photo to the form. The acceptance agent or passport employee will review the photo and staple it to your form.
  • You can get a photo at:
    • Some passport acceptance facilities
    • A company which offers photo services
    • Home. Ask a friend or family member to take your photo. Print it on glossy or matte photo quality paper. 

6. Calculate Fees

When applying using Form DS-11, you will pay two separate fees - an application fee and an execution (acceptance) fee. You will pay the application fee to the U.S. Department of State, and the execution (acceptance) fee to the facility which takes your application. 

  • Add $60 to your application fee if you want expedited service.
  • Add $21.36 to your application fee if you want us to ship your completed passport in 1-2 days after we issue it.  

Adult Applicants (Age 16 and older):

Document Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $130 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $30 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $160 $35

For more information on how to pay and a full list of fees, go to our Passport Fees page.

How to fill out your check for the application fee: 

An image of a sample check
This image shows a sample check which you use to pay your application fees.

7. Find Location to Apply

In the United States:

  • Traveling in more than 3 weeks? Go to a passport acceptance facility such as a post office, library, or local government office. Check with the facility to see if you need to make an appointment. 
  • Traveling in less than 3 weeks? Make an appointment to apply at a passport agency or center.

In another country:


8. Track your Application Status

You can enroll in email updates about your application status, and learn more about each status update.

It may take 2 weeks from the day you apply until your application status is “In Process.” 


Frequently Asked Questions

How will you send my passport and supporting documents?

You will get multiple mailings. The number of mailings depends on what document(s) you asked for.

Passport Book: You may get your new passport and citizenship documents in two mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after getting your passport before you get a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We will return the passport book using a trackable delivery service.

Passport Card: You may get your new passport card and your citizenship documents in two mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after getting your passport before you get a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We only send the passport card via First Class Mail. We do not send cards using 1-2 day delivery services.

Both a Passport Book and Card: You may get three separate mailings:

  1. New passport book
  2. New passport card
  3. Citizenship documents

Contacting Us: If you have been waiting more than 8 weeks for your documents, call us at 1-877-487-2778 to report that you have not received your documents. 

If you want us to reimburse you for a lost supporting document, you must contact us within 90 days of the date which we mailed your passport. You will also need to provide a receipt to show the cost of replacing the document. 


Can I pay for faster delivery and return shipping?

Yes. You may choose one or both of the following shipment options:

  • Delivering application to us: Pay for Priority Mail Express for faster shipping. The price for this service varies depending on the area of the country.
  • Returning the passport to you: Pay $21.36 for 1-2 day delivery. This means you will receive your passport 1-2 days after we send it. Include this fee with your check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State. Do not submit a return envelope to us with postage pre-paid. 

You may receive your passport and supporting documents in separate mailings. If you are renewing a passport card, we will send it to you via First Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 day delivery services if you only applied for a passport card.

Last Updated: June 28, 2024