Photo Identification

Provide a photo identification document (ID) when applying in person if you are:

  • Over age 18
  • A parent or guardian applying with your child 

The ID must:

  • Be a physical document
  • Include your photo
  • Be issued by the government

Bring the ID and a photocopy of the ID when you apply

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.

  • Your photocopy must be on white, 8.5'' x 11" standard paper, in black and white, and on one side of the paper. 
  • Do not decrease the image size. You may make the image size bigger.

Primary ID (submit one)

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Note: you may be asked to present an extra ID when presenting one of these three documents.
    • In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 
    • In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or
    • Temporary driver's license with photo. 

Notice on Digital ID Documents: Some states have digital ID documents, mobile driver's licenses, or mobile IDs. We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must give us a physical, photo ID and a photocopy of the ID.  


Secondary IDs (submit at least two from the list below)

You must present one physical, primary ID which includes your photo. We cannot accept digital IDs. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs listed above, you should present at least two secondary IDs listed below. 
  • Out-of-state driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit (without a photo)
  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID (without a photo)
  • Out-of-state, non-driver ID
  • Temporary driver's license (without a photo)
  • Social Security card
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee work ID
  • Student ID
  • School yearbook with identifiable photograph
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license 
  • Form DS-71 for an Identifying Witness (note: this form is only available if you are applying in person at an acceptance facility or a passport agency). 

Applying Out of State

If you apply out of state, please present an extra ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible:

  • Your photo
  • Full name
  • Date of birth, and
  • Document issuance date

Selecting Your Gender Marker

If you want to select a different gender marker, please see our Selecting your Gender Marker page.

Last Updated: February 12, 2024