Renew by Mail

Getting a New Passport for a Child: You cannot renew a passport for a child under age 16. You must apply again in person using Form DS-11. 

Renewing a Passport Outside the United States: Learn how to renew your U.S. passport if you live in a foreign country.

Beta Release of an Online Passport Renewal System

Eligible U.S. citizens can now renew their passports online. We're conducting a beta release of an updated online passport renewal system. Learn more on our Renew Online page

Watch this video to learn if you can renew your passport by mail.

Step One


Confirm you meet the requirements

You can renew by mail if your most recent passport:

  • Can be submitted with your application,
  • Is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear),
  • Has never been reported lost or stolen,
  • Was issued within the last 15 years,
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older, and
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can provide a document like a marriage certificate or divorce decree to show you have changed your name)

If you want to renew a limited validity passport that is valid for less than the normal period of 10 years, you must meet these requirements:

  • One of your previous passports must have been issued for 10 years,
  • Your passport cannot be limited because you’ve lost multiple passports, and
  • Your passport cannot be limited because you’ve had multiple damaged passports

If you do not meet these requirements to renew, go to one of these pages to learn how to apply:

Adult Applying

Children Under 16

Child Age 16-17


Step Two


Fill out your form and print it

Use our Form Filler tool to fill out your form on a desktop or laptop computer and then print it. If you are experiencing technical issues with the Form Filler, download a PDF

Fill Out Form DS-82 Online

Tips to complete your form:

  • Complete all parts of the form. Sign and date your form before you mail it.
  • Print your form on single-sided paper. We do not accept double-sided forms. 
  • Check your date of birth and previous passport issuance date if you did not get the form you expected to receive on the form filler.
  • You can renew a passport book, a passport card, or both documents.
  • Use Form DS-82 to apply for your first passport book if you only have a passport card, or to apply for your first passport card if you only have a passport book.  
  • If you travel many times each year, get a larger passport book with more visa pages, at no extra cost.  Check the 'large book' box at the top of the DS-82.
  • If renewing from Canada, do not include your Canadian Social Insurance Number on the form in place of your U.S. Social Security number. 

Step Three


Submit your most recent U.S. passport

When you renew by mail or in person, you must submit your most recent passport(s) with your application. We will return your most recent passport book or card in a separate mailing. The most recent passport may not arrive for up to 8 weeks after you get your new passport. Learn below what document to submit based on what you want to renew:


Document (s) you want to renew What to submit
Passport Book and Card Passport Book and Card
Passport Book Passport Book
Passport Card Passport Card
I want to get my first card but only have a book Passport Book
I want to get my first book but only have a card Passport Card

Step Four


Submit other documents if you are changing your name

If the name you are using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

We will return your name change document in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Tips for renewing from Canada:

  • If your Canadian divorce decree does not show that you are returning to your maiden name, you must provide proof of your birth or maiden name. Examples include an original or certified copy of your birth certificate.

Step Five


Provide a photo

You must provide one photo with your application. Go to our Passport Photo page for photo requirements and to see examples of photos. You can get a photo at:

  • Some passport acceptance facilities
  • A company which offers photo services
  • Home. Ask a friend or family member to take your photo. Print it on glossy or matte photo quality paper. 

Other reminders

  • You must staple your photo to the application. Follow the instructions on the application. Use four staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges of the photo as possible.
  • Do not bend the photo.

Step Six


Calculate fees

Pay using a personal check or money order and make it payable to the U.S. Department of State. Do not send cash.

  • Add $60 to your application fee if you want expedited service.
  • Add $21.36 to your application fee if you want us to ship your completed passport in 1-2 days after we issue it.  
Document Form Application Fee
Passport Book DS-82 $130
Passport Card  DS-82 $30
Passport Book & Card DS-82 $160
  • Go to our Passport Fees page to learn more about how much it costs to apply for a passport and how you can pay.
  • Please write the full name and date of birth of the applicant on the front of the check* or money order.
  • Renewing from Canada? Personal checks or money orders must draw on U.S. financial institutions based in the United States and be payable in U.S. dollars. Acceptable U.S. checks and money orders must have a 9-digit routing number. Do not include 1-2 day or express delivery fees with your payment. These services are not available to U.S. residents in Canada.

*How to fill out your check 


An image of a sample check
This image shows a sample check which you use to pay your application fees.

Step Seven


Submit completed application and documents

Get My Passport FastIf you are traveling in less than 3 weeks, make an appointment to renew in person at a passport agency or center. Your appointment must be within 14 calendar days of your travel date. 

If you are traveling in more than 3 weeks, mail your completed application and documents to one of the addresses below. 

Where you mail the application depends on where you live, and how fast you need your passport. 

If you live in the United Statesuse the United States Postal Service (USPS). If you live in Canada, use Canada Post. 

Where to Send My Application and Supporting Documents

I want routine service and I live in California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or Texas. I want routine service and I live in any other state or in Canada. I want expedited service.
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope: 

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Want Faster Delivery?

  • Delivering application to us: Pay for Priority Mail Express for faster delivery. The price for this service varies depending on the area of the country.
  • Returning the passport to you: Pay $21.36 for 1-2 day delivery. This means you will receive your passport 1-2 days after we send it. Include this fee with your check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State. Do not submit a return envelope to us with pre-paid postage. 

You may receive your passport and supporting documents in separate mailings.

If you are renewing a passport card, we will send it to you via First Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 day delivery services for passport card only applications.

Outside the United States (any country besides Canada): Contact your U.S. embassy and consulate.

Step Eight


Track your application status

You can subscribe to email updates about your application status, and learn more about each status update.

It may take 2 weeks from the day you apply until your application status is “In Process.” 



What is normal "wear and tear" of a passport?

Normal "wear and tear" of a U.S. passport does not count as damage. Normal wear includes:

  • The bend of a passport after you carry it in your pocket
  • Fanning of the visa pages after opening and closing the passport 

If your passport is damaged, you cannot renew it and must apply for a new passport.

Damage includes:

  • Water stains
  • A significant tear
  • Unofficial markings on the data page
  • Missing visa pages (torn out)
  • A hole punch, or other injuries



Can I renew at an acceptance facility?

No. If you are renewing your passport with Form DS-82, acceptance facilities will not take your application. Acceptance facilities should never charge you a $35 fee for renewing your passport. These locations should only charge you a $35 fee if you are applying using Form DS-11.

You must mail in your renewal application (Form DS-82) yourself. Mailing your Form DS-82 can be confusing since some post offices are also passport acceptance facilities. Postal employees should not review your form and supporting documents before you mail it.

Send Form DS-82 and supporting documents using a trackable delivery method.

Do not use UPS, FedEx, or DHL since the address you need to send your Form DS-82 and supporting documents to is a Post Office (PO) Box. 


If I already have a passport book or card, can I use the DS-82 to get the other document?


If you have a passport book and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail even if it is your first passport card.

If you have a passport card and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport book as a renewal by mail even if it is your first passport book. 


Can I send multiple renewal applications in one envelope?

Yes. If your family member or spouse is also renewing a passport, you may want to send multiple applications in the same envelope. You can pay for the applications using one check or money order. Make sure to add up the correct fees for multiple applications. 


How will you send my passport and supporting documents?

You will get multiple mailings. The number of mailings depends on what document(s) you asked for.

Passport Book: You may get your new passport and citizenship documents in two mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after getting your passport before you get a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We will return the passport book using a trackable delivery service.

Passport Card: You may get your new passport card and your citizenship documents in two mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after getting your passport before you get a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We only send the passport card via First Class Mail. We do not send cards using 1-2 day delivery services.

Both a Passport Book and Card: You may get three separate mailings:

  1. New passport book
  2. New passport card
  3. Citizenship documents

Contacting Us: If you have been waiting more than 8 weeks for your documents, call us at 1-877-487-2778 to report that you have not received your documents. 

If you want us to reimburse you for a lost supporting document, you must contact us within 90 days of the date which we mailed your passport. You will also need to provide a receipt to show the cost of replacing the document. 


I got a letter requesting that I resubmit my Form DS-82. What should I do?

When you renew by mail, our intake facility will review your application and supporting documents.

The intake facility will send you a letter if there is a problem with your application. The letter may include a QR code with a link to our website. Common reasons for getting this letter include:

  • No signature or date on your form
  • Bad or missing photo
  • Pages of your form are missing
  • Wrong or missing fees
  • Most recent passport is missing
  • Most recent passport issued over 15 years ago

Follow the instructions in the letter. You must include the letter we sent you when you resubmit the new application. 

When your application is at the intake facility, your application status will show as "Not Available" if you check our Online Passport Status System. Your application will be "In Process" once a passport agency or center begins processing your new application. 

Last Updated: June 28, 2024